Monday, August 4, 2014

Linux Spacewalk / Satellite Server

This is my first attempt at setting up a Satellite server, so I learned quite a bit. Before I had all my VMs, I never had the requirement for it. Now, having it will definitely speed up patching and installs.

Some features I plan on using:

  • remote installs of applications
  • application baselines across multiple servers
  • pushing updates to all the servers
  • pushing config files that need updating (i.e. yum.conf, snmp.conf, ...)
  • kickstarting servers
There's plenty of information out on the web to follow. Comparing to Microsoft SCCM, the install is a little more complex. This is the main page I used to do the install https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall. This is another site (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PackageManagement/Spacewalk)  that does a good job of explaining everything, but the first link worked better for me for the installation itself.

The biggest key things to note is to ensure you have DNS setup correctly and dependencies available. The client needs to resolve the server and vice versa. And, the client will need some dependencies to install some of the client components.

Good luck with your install!

No comments:

Post a Comment